The Search of Truth

I hope to find prospective researchers and develope intelligent conversations in delving into the very fabrics of the world around us, both known and unknown.

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

Truth?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
jesca

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2007-06-05

PostSubject: Truth?   Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:01 pm

Ok, I've been reading through all the threads, and while I'd LOVE to post on some of them...I find that I can't. The reason is because the whole point of this forum..."The Search of Truth," is something I've found I can't do. (Jesus Christ, my child was sleeping in my lap for 15 minutes...I finally laid her down and NOW she's crying...) Anyway, I guess it's just that...we can search truth all we want. We can discover together what makes sense and what just seems silly. We can have it down to the perfect balance of what science and religion tell us is "right," but it's still possible that we die, go to a place called "Cheesetown" and find that God is really an ostrich in a silly hat and our souls are made of licorice. I can't post on Buddy's talks about Christianity, or Dad's talks on...the things that dad talks about, because, hey, these theories are better than any that I've got.

Basically...I subscribe to the religion of "Idunno." I mean...it's kind of liberating to just say "You know what? I don't HAVE the answers. I have nothing to offer--nothing to defend." On the other hand, it makes me a bit of an outcast in a forum about the search of truth.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trench
Admin

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2007-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Truth?   Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:58 pm

Is that true, though? It is said of many things of our mind. Rumors flying about using only 10%, and that the mind is capable of many things. Or that all things are stored in the mind, but incapable of reaching it. What if we do possess the truth, we just haven't figured out how to get it, yet? And, what if someone has the ability, but not the thought to?

Example... I was speaking to rog about a person who speaks with the dead. I asked him why she had never talked to them to find out what the afterlife is like? See if maybe they could provide some answers. To which he had responded that he, and probably her, had never really thought of doing it. Not that it was a bad idea, it just never crossed their minds. In the same way, what if there is a tactic, some kind of universal way to tap into the mystic areas of the mind and find the truth? I honestly do not think it to be impossible. Afterall, what has been impossible? Flight was impossible. Travelling around the world was impossible. Staying underwater for long periods of time was impossible. Who's to say that someone truly dedicated to the idea can't find this truth? Who's to say what is impossible?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
rogorm

Number of posts : 51

PostSubject: Re: Truth?   Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:09 pm

jesca wrote:
Dad's talks on...the things that dad talks about,

What's THAT supposed to mean?

Anyhow, I think the great thing about this site is that even if you don't have a firm "belief", you can see other peoples viewpoints, make comments, ask questions ... maybe find some things that make sense to YOU.

I think I have a lot of answers, but the reality is I don't KNOW. Nobody does. At least not on this plane. The answers I have satisfy my needs. They make sense to me. These discussions help to to either solidify or adjust my beliefs.

I may challenge those who think differently than I do, and I hope others will challange me as well. If I can find answers that make sense to me, I'm satisfied. I don't expect to "convert" anybody to my way of thinking.

The good from this site is that we ARE thinking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://123homeinspections.com
BMan

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Truth?   Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:43 am

rogorm wrote:
jesca wrote:

What's THAT supposed to mean?*

Anyhow, I think the great thing about this site is that even if you don't have a firm "belief", you can see other peoples viewpoints, make comments, ask questions ... maybe find some things that make sense to YOU.**

I think I have a lot of answers, but the reality is I don't KNOW. Nobody does. At least not on this plane. The answers I have satisfy my needs. They make sense to me. These discussions help to to either solidify or adjust my beliefs.

I may challenge those who think differently than I do, and I hope others will challange me as well. If I can find answers that make sense to me, I'm satisfied. I don't expect to "convert" anybody to my way of thinking.

The good from this site is that we ARE thinking.

*YOU know what it means. I can't remember the last time I saw you without you grabbing my legs and telling me about Gengis Khan.

**My problem here is that sometimes the things I happen to think or believe on a subject don't reaally make sense. I mean, my fear of death. It's pretty firm. It's been there a while and not likely to go away any time soon. However, it doesn't really make a lot of sense.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rogorm

Number of posts : 51

PostSubject: Re: Truth?   Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:45 pm

Ok, I would have to say that a fear of death makes a LOT of sense. We always fear the unknown, and there ain't much more unknown than what happens to us after death.

On the other hand, it's the one thing that you can't really avoid forever. It would be to your benefit to try to resolve the worst of your fear at some point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://123homeinspections.com
tchivai

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2007-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Truth?   Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:37 pm

I have a friend who's terrified of death, just about runs from the subject anytime it gets brought up even in the most abstract sense... and while i understand it to a degree, I never quite grasped why death should be feared. There are so many things that we know are truly horrifying, why be afraid of something that simply ends it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Knyteowl

Number of posts : 49

PostSubject: Re: Truth?   Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:20 am

I think that is the point when someone has a fear of death. Death is the ending of everything that we know and have come to understand. People I know with that fear also have a problem with the thought of there body rotting away or being burned to ash. Nothingness can be scary. For some people this is where religion can come in and ease that fear. Instead of nothing you can to The Pearly Gates or the Alysian Fields or wherever and reunite with loved ones.

Myself, I don't know what comes after death if anything because I have never been dead. If there is an afterlife then cool and I will see everyone later. If there isn't then there is nothing that I can do about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jesca

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2007-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Truth?   Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:59 am

rogorm wrote:
jesca wrote:

What's THAT supposed to mean?

Haha...it just means that, while I like most of what you say, I wouldn't know how to CATEGORIZE it.

Anyway, I dunno...it just feels like the search for truth is a wild goose chase. A waste of time. My daughter is always starting sentences with "How come" and ending them in "?"...after a while, I just say, "Kid, you don't need to know EVERYTHING."

Rog said that he finds answers that "satisfy his needs," but I guess it feels like I don't HAVE any needs that can be satisfied by finding answers, especially since they're not really answers, they're theories. So, am I the only person on earth who DOESN'T ask "Why are we here...what's our purpose?" Am I the only one ok with floating on with no direction?

So now you're probably wondering, "So what the heck is she doing on this forum?" Besides the fact that it's fun and interesting to read...I love being around my loved ones, and there's a bunch of em here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
istoba

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2007-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Truth?   Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:12 pm

Hilo,
Long time listener, first time poster Very Happy
I kid. My name is Paul and Brandon was kind enough to invite me. Gratsias Bman.

When I was about 19 years old (even though this starts like one of those sentences where I'm going to trail into a long convoluted reminiscing recollection of my past, Iíll qualify with this sentence that it is not), I used to think a lot on these lines. What is truth, meaning, perfection, everything? I had a very idealistic perspective on things, which was fantastic. I met a girl during this time, we'll call her H (some of you will know who she is), and she made an excellent effort - intentional or otherwise - of employing a relativist response to most of my idealist views. This was an ultimately eye-opening (but initially frustrating) experience. I felt very strongly that there was this perfect order to things, an objective purpose for everything that could be argued for and ultimately (globally) agreed upon, with enough effort.
A typical relativist's response to such a perfectionistic perspective is to discount it - with good intentions - by claiming "It's all relative." Or, "That's just your opinion."
One of the good intentions, although it doesn't often actually translate out into a good result, is that by invoking relativity (which is essentially an agnostic point of view) it is hoped that the argument against the idea of all-encompassing meaning will achieve cautionary illumination. i.e., keep your options open so you can't be proven wrong. Unfortunately that often fails on every front.

It is really only in hindsight now that I recognize the dynamics in play back then, but they did succeed at the time in effectively jading my worldview. Something I'm grateful for because it allows me to empathize with the millions of jaded humans. It wasn't so much that I ever fully or officially subscribed to the relativist worldview, it's just that the introduction of it into my controlled environment was paralyzing. When you see things from all points of view (and I do mean all) it raises the not so easily mastered reality of having to actually make a choice in the face of innumerable contradictory choices.

I'm in an ethics class this summer and came across a line in a very succinct book (by which I mean, thin!) about how ethics (the study of truth) is meant to lead people through the muck of what society says the world is, and what our social upbringing poured into us, to a point where we can stand either within or outside of society and, without even a need to think of or reference confidence, be who we are, say what we will, and know what we know. Society will most likely (but not necessarily) not conform to you. It may hate you because you stand in such stark opposition to it. But the inevitability is that you belong to it and it belongs to you, and while it may not conform to you, it has no ultimate choice but to transform because of you. Though that may take time.
The book said most people reach this point, where ethics takes them to, but they fear it, and "try to escape the freedom" that comes with it. Which I found to be a rather profound contradictory example that very concisely mirrors where most of us find ourselves (where I certainly often find myself), trying to escape the freedom that being alive allows. It's a big responsibility.

Moral of the story. Dime store relativity theory will get you a D in ethics class.
So if you're looking for hope, let me stand outside of society for a second and declare that there is absolutely an objectively and subjectively unifying and provable purpose, meaning, and explanation to all things.
Now we just have to get out there and get it.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Truth?   

Back to top Go down

Truth?
Page 1 of 1